Okay, here is a great Greek beef stew that I have eaten all my life. It is serious Greek comfort food, the cloves, cinnamon and allspice being especially great during the winter.
Again, I am copying this recipe straight from my mother’s piece of paper. And I am assuming that the dish came straight from Yia Yia.
3 lbs Chuck or Round cut in 2 inch cubes
.5 lb. butter [not sure what this is for, but dad loved his butter]
3 Garlic cloves
3 Bay leaves
1 Cinnamon stick, cut in half
1 tsp Allspice
1 Can tomato paste (the small can)
1.5 Cups Burgundy wine
3 lbs small pearl onions
Enough olive oil to brown beef and onions
- In a kettle, brown meat over high heat.
- Add garlic, bay leaves, cinnamon and allspice.
- Stir well.
- Add tomato paste, wine, 1 cup water.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, sauté onions until golden brown in olive oil.
- Drain on paper, then add to meat.
- Simmer 2 – 2.5 hours on very low fire until meat, onions are tender.
Sauce should cover meat at all times.
Add more water if necessary.
Sauce should be thick when ready to serve.