This is my version of the NYT Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Garlic recipe I posted a while back. You will need a fry pan big enough to hold the sprouts. Use cast iron, or other oven tolerant material that heats evenly. I use a 9” carbon steel fry pan.
1 pint Brussels sprouts (about a pound)
4 to 6tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, to coat bottom of pan
5 cloves garlic, peeled
Salt and pepper to taste
1-2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar ( I like my sprouts a little on the tart/vinegary side)
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Trim bottom of Brussels sprouts, and slice each in half top to bottom.
- Heat oil in cast-iron pan over medium-high heat until it shimmers.
- Put sprouts cut side down in one layer in pan.
- Put in garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, undisturbed, until sprouts brown on bottom, then transfer to oven.
- Roast for ten minutes, shaking pan at 5 minutes.
- Pour Balsamic over the sprouts and toss to coat as much as possible.
- Return pan to oven and roast sprouts until sprouts they are quite brown and tender, about 10 more minutes. (Toss the sprouts as necessary.)
- Taste, and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Serve hot or warm.